Pages

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

My love for school supplies has never stopped...

So with the 2015-2016 school year already starting or almost ready to start (depending on the school district your child is in), it's fun for me to look over school supplies.

I have always loved school supplies and office supplies (now that I am an adult). My favorite thing when I was younger was my brand new crayon box. I loved opening the lid of the crayon box and seeing all the different hues and shades and colors and seeing the still sharp points ready to be used. But I didn't want to ruin them yet I needed to. Yes, I guess that should have been my wake up call to how much I would love getting ready for school every year when I was in school (through college) and how much I am enjoying homeschooling my 7 year old.

It's been a whirlwind of a ride since Jim and I made the decision in mid-February of this last school year to take her out of the private school she was in and homeschool her, with me as the teacher, cafeteria lady, bus driver, counselor, and wearer of more hats. She was not be challenged in her old school and was being pigeonholed into waiting for the rest of the class to catch up or she was helping "teach". You cannot do that to a gifted child who continually is thirsting for another layer of knowledge after quickly learning the previous layer.

So now, my youngest is working on middle school schoolwork and diving in to the incredible worlds of annd not limited to: Astronomy, Ancient World History, American History, beginning Geometry and finishing up figuring out fractions, understanding the many layers of Language Arts, Foreign Languages, and Music, and Art Appreciation. Believe me, she appreciates and loves the large amount of choices for learning!

It's a blast to watch her voice an opinion about lessons and field trips (we love our field trips) and what she wants to go off-topic and learn more about before learning the next chapter. Hearing her different ways of figuring out problems is fun and a learning experience for steps I may never have used to find the answers. I know not everyone believes in homeschooling or can do homeschooling, but for this mom, it has been an excellent and very happy choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment